Monday, November 18, 2013

My Favorite Sachin Tendulkar Moment


As I watched Sachin Tendulkar sign off his illustrious career with a beautiful, heartfelt speech, my thoughts went back in time to my favorite Sachin moment... 

I first started watching Cricket as a twelve year old during the 1987 World Cup and by the time Srikanth led India to Pakistan in 1989, I knew enough about the game to be a fan. After managing to draw the four Test series 0-0, it was time for the ODI series. Though the official match was abandoned due to bad light the teams agreed to play an exhibition game (20-20) to keep the spectators happy. 

Batting first, Pakistan made around 150 and when India started the chase, Srikanth did not open the innings as he usually did. Here was India chasing a steep target against a superior bowling attack and the Captain didn't start the chase. It was hugely disappointing, especially considering that the team was missing the services of the other attacking batsman Kapil Dev due to injury. By the time Srikanth got in to bat, India was floundering and Pakistan was cruising towards a crushing win. As the Indian batsmen scratched around, I sat quietly in front of the television, frustrated by the ineptness of the batsmen and disappointed by their lack of effort.

At the fall of the next wicket, 16 year old Sachin walked in with around five overs remaining in the match and close to 70 runs still needed for a win. I hadn't watched the Test series but had read in the papers about the young prodigy and his exploits in School and domestic Cricket. I had read about how he had courageously batted through his Test innings even after being hit in the face by a Younis bouncer. But, considering the match situation, I had zero expectations and was only mildly curious about the young boy.

As he hit a couple of sixes in the first few balls he faced, I sat up and took notice. Soon, he plundered 28 runs off one Abdul Qadir over, including a hat-trick of huge sixes. More than the runs or the manner in which he scored them, it was his attitude that was refreshing . There was a steely determination in his eyes that conveyed in no uncertain terms that he wanted to win! Despite the near impossible situation, he hadn't given up. I remember screaming and cheering his every stroke as he single-handedly went about getting India closer to the target. By the time Imran Khan returned to bowl the last over, he had raised the possibility of an Indian win! 

Eventually, India lost the match by 4 or 5 runs. Though India had lost, I wasn't sad or disappointed. Instead, I was satisfied that the better team won and felt proud that at least one man took up the fight and never gave up. Instantly, I became a fan. 

Over the years there has been plenty of delightful knocks and wonderful memories, but that innings against Pakistan - the first time I saw him bat - remains my most favorite Sachin Tendulkar moment.

1 comment:

  1. Hello to all Cricket Lovers,
    Exciting about IPL?? We are here to share the updated IPL 2021 schedule with you all. Click on the link below & find all your answers in 1 place.

    https://www.crickbatstips.com/ipl-2021-updates/

    ReplyDelete