Friday, March 21, 2008

Madras Filter Coffee

There is nothing better than a good cup of coffee to kick start your day. And, as a South Indian, when I say coffee I mean the traditional Madras filter coffee!

While the taste for filter coffee is easy to acquire, mastering the art of making one is not so easy. Working the traditional filter to make the decoction needs a lot of practice and plenty of patience. And, of course you cannot use a coffee maker as  it is intended for use with coarse ground coffee, while the traditional filter coffee is made with fine ground coffee.

Then, one day while sipping a café latte at Starbucks, I realized how similar it was to the filter coffee; I mean, both are made with concentrated coffee (espresso for the latte and decoction for filter coffee), milk and a little foam on top! A little research and $200 later, I ended with a shiny new espresso machine that makes perfect decoction (or rather, espresso)  every time within minutes and without the hassle!

So, now I enjoy my Leo coffee every morning - Italian style! Truly, 'kaalathai vendra rasanai idhuvae'!

No comments:

Post a Comment